Experience Designer (XD)
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
Transfr is on a mission to create alternative pathways to career success. Our hands-on simulation-based training provides people with the skills they need to enter or reenter the workforce, enabling them to have a better quality of life. Our technology gives immersive training that the user absorbs much more readily than video tutorials, slide presentations, and other training methods.
We believe the future starts with innovative workplace training and hands-on skills development. We’re building bridges between schools, workplaces, and governments to make jobs more accessible and create a better tomorrow, today.
This is an exciting time! Demand for VR skills-based training has never been higher. Our startup is in hyper growth mode, scaling in every direction. We are looking for people that possess a true love for learning and have a burning desire to contribute to outcomes that change the world.
Transfr is looking for an Experience Designer to join our team. Are you ready to change the future of workforce development and help unlock undiscovered talent in every state across the US? Join us!
The Experience Designer is integral to the design phase of Transfr’s virtual reality simulations. Your position is focused on the initial design and development of our learning experiences, and you have a strong understanding of the application of principles and methods from usability sciences and engineering with a strong preference for those experienced in XR. You use user-centered design principles to improve the look and feel of our learning and training products by working from a foundation of learning sciences and human factors research mixing in other technical, design, and educational experiences as needed.
This is a full-time position that can be fully remote or work with our team from our office in NYC.
What You'll Do:
- Create high-level design documentation to ensure learning experiences are the most creative, exciting, engaging, and effective experiences for our customer that they cannot find anywhere else.
- Ensure design alignment and instructional scaffolding within modules and across learning activities.
- Collaborate with SMEs, Business, and Instructional Design teams to clarify key learning takeaways, titles, and descriptions for each simulation, while remaining within time constraints.
- Review business requirements and SME reference materials, provide feedback to improve quality and clarity, and define essential components to include in project definition and vision documentation for production teams’ usage.
- Work with instructional designers to build consistency and focus quality across modules and learning activities in assets such as sound effects, tools, parts, mechanics, characters, and environments.
- Maintain learning project design databases.
- Working with Head of Learning Experience Design to plan and facilitate kick-offs for new modules and learning experiences.
- Support site visits and the creation of task breakdowns with customers and partners for validating project scoping against captured notes, videos, images, and other training-related source materials, when needed.
- Create module vision documents, to include high-level planning for individual simulations/learning activities as well as connections between existing modules and activities, incorporating narrative, gamification, and creative engagement with multi-modal learning and virtual environments.
- Contribute to iterative process and product validation and improvement efforts across Production teams, supporting coordination of change management and cross-functional buy-in through socialization.
- Contribute to product requirements, user alignments, design systems, and design standards definition and development, proposing solutions aimed toward production efficiency and product quality.
- Engage in design upkeep, modification, and exploration that falls outside the standard design process, such as: sim redesigns, module and content audits, UI creation/revisions, prototyping sprints, and editing tasks that fall across user experiences.
- 5-7+ years experience in instructional technology and user experience design or a related field
- Bachelor’s degree in instructional design or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Founded understanding of Transfr product lines, their defining characteristics, and key stakeholders
- CTE / Workforce training experience
- Experience designing or developing for virtual reality
- Experience in game design
- Demonstrated ability to establish objectives, identify problems, analyze data, and creatively deliver solutions
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines with self-motivation, creativity, and high standards
- Strong organizational and communication skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Comfortable working in a high-volume, deadline-driven environment
- Must be flexible in work assignments and able/willing to apply instructional design to various learning situations
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative fashion across functions and as part of a team
What We Offer:
The base salary range for this position is expected to be between $100,000K and $110,000K, with the actual base salary amount dependent on a number of factors, including but not limited to a candidate’s credentials, relevant experience, and primary job location. In addition to salary this role will be eligible for additional company benefits such as stock options, 401(k), paid vacation and sick time, and medical/dental/vision insurance.
If you're looking to make a big difference in the lives of others, we invite you to join us on our mission to make learning more intuitive by helping individuals develop the skills they need for career success.
Be a part of creating pathways to prosperity by helping to develop training simulations to teach skills that lead to well-paying jobs, for all.
At Transfr, we embrace diversity because it breeds innovation. Transfr is an equal opportunity employer that participates in E-Verify committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants, consultants, and employees, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
**Must be authorized to work in the United States without restriction**
Learn more at transfrinc.com